Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

What Does it Mean to "Step Over That Turd"?


My father once told me, and I'll never forget it, of a conversation he had with a profound and wise young lady. They were discussing life and emotions and how everyone deals with all the trials and tribulations differently. My dads a bit of a hot head at times so they were trying to figure out some sort of resolve for that. The young lady said to him; "Imagine you're walking down the sidewalk and you come across a big turd in the middle of the path. Do you stop and pick it up and keep it with you all day? Or, do you step over that turd and leave it behind?" You don't want to smell that turd everywhere you go and neither does anyone else. So it's better to just let it go and move on, don't keep stressing about it. 


You can use that logic every day, visualize the sticky situations life throws at you as that 'turd', the ones that upset you or that you cannot control. You're not going to always see eye to eye with the people you come across in your daily life, especially the ones closest to you. Don't hold onto those feelings, the reasons or excuses to have a grudge; just let it go. Step over that turd. Whatever it may be, big or small, there's no reason to keep it with you. What you're feeling in that moment is not only going to ruin your day but it rubs off onto everyone else around you as well. Step over that turd. My father and I both remember to "step over that turd" every time we get upset or frustrated and it really has helped him regain control of situations and for me, well, I just try to live as happy-go-lucky as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment